ENGLISH
Visuel

chronology



Fulrad will




sarreguemines - 1750


 

Chronology


777 

The name Sarreguemines is mentioned for the first time.
In his will, Fulrad, a close advisor to Pepin the Short and Charlemagne, bequeathed his lands to the Abby of Saint Denis.

10 to12th Century  

Construction of a fortress which controlled the fordable stream across the Sarre which housed an office for taxing the transport of merchandise. Development of a small walled town. Sarreguemines became the seat of a seigniorial domain and confirmed the town's military and administrative role.

1297

Sarreguemines, one of the towns within the duchy of Lorraine. Conclusion of a long drawn out process of assimilation as a ducal possession.

End of 13th Century  

Opening of the 'Gothard'. With the inception of the "route du Brabant", linking Italy to Flanders, and which went through Sarreguemines, the town's reputation as a trading centre began to grow
Beginning of the 14th Century  
Granting of a franchise charter which gave the town's municipal body relative autonomy. Installation of Lombard and Jewish communities

1523

Establishment of the 3 markets. Period of prosperity.

1525

Peasants revolt with a religious overtones, the result of the local population being exposed to the teachings of Luther and Munzer

1632-1662

Thirty Years War. Ruin and desolation.

1679-1697

Annexed by France for the first time. Attempt at repopulation following the destruction caused during the wars of Louis 14th.

1698

Restored once more to the Duchy of Lorraine, Sarreguemines, one of the Duchy's 4 main legal and administrative districts (in the Vaudrevange-Wallerfangen Square),became the principal bailiwick of Germany.

1700-1735

New period of prosperity. Population growth led to the creation of a suburb, located in line with new capuchin convent (Rue Sainte-Croix). For the first time, the town expanded beyond its medieval walls.

1735-1766

Integration of Lorraine into French territory.

1780

Building of a cavalry barracks (where the Law Courts now stand)

1790

Sarreguemines, administrative centre for one of the 9 districts of the Moselle Department. Beginning of industrialism with the creation of the pottery works.

1800

Sarreguemines, administrative centre for the 4th "arrondissement" (administrative sub-district) of Moselle. Seat of a Sub-Prefecture. Establishment of a municipal high school and the start of secondary education.

1830-1860

Development of new industrial sectors: manufacture of snuffboxes, soft toys, matches, steam machinery and safes. Industrial site springing up on the right bank of the Sarre for the first time.

1863-1866

Opening up of the area due to the construction the 'coal basin' canal and the spread of the railway networks. Sarreguemines becomes the second most important town in the Moselle.

1871-1918

Annexation to the German Empire.
Golden age for this garrison town with the building of two new barracks on the right bank of the river. Building of the barracks for the Household Cavalry (1875-1888), followed by the infantry barracks (1899-1904). At the same time plans for urban expansion were being put into effect(1877-1905) which laid the foundations for expanding to encompass a far wider area and the laying out of a new town centre situated around the Law Courts, railway station and the hospital.

1880

A town outside the town: the Steinbach lunatic asylum.

1918

French once again

1924

Creation of an industrial estate on the town's outskirts. Opening of a trade school and the birth of teaching technical subjects.

1930-1939

Period of recession. Located in a danger zone (in front of the Maginot Line), Sarreguemines saw its development hindered by the growing risk of war.

1st September 1939

Local population evacuated to Charente. Phoney war (expression first used by Dorgelès in Frauenberg).

1940-1944

Annexation by the 3rd Reich. Town repeatedly bombarded. Urban framework extensively damaged.

6th to 12th December 1944

Liberated by American soldiers.

1945-1955

Reconstruction period. Drawing up of an urban plan which reshaped a large section of the town's historical centre (1947). Opening of a municipal affordable rent housing office (1954).

10 May 1961

Inauguration of an industrial trading estate with, most importantly, the installation of the Continental tyre factory.

1st January 1964

Union of the adjoining rural communes (small administrative districts) of Neunkirch and Welferding.

1st January 1971

Integration of Folpersviller.

1972

Creation of Sarreguemines urban district.

8th December 1976

Setting up of a pioneer experiment with a cross border water treatment plant

1977-1978

Creation of ISFATES, first milestone towards becoming a centre for University level teaching.

1980

Opening of the General Motors subsidiary Delco-Remy battery factory.

1984-1989

Creation of Europôle, new industrial area located on the Sarreguemines-Hambach site.

1995-1997

Construction of the Smart car production plant.
 

1st January 2002

The Sarreguemines-Confluences Urban Community came into being.
Réalisé par NEFTIS - Powered by Flexit